Nondiscrimination Statement

"In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and reprisal."
Public Services Department


Kim Smith - Department of Public Services Director

989-772-4600 ext. 224


Angela Schofield

Department of Public Services - Assistant

(989) 772-4600 Ext. 223



Pump Station #7 Service Area Final Report

September 2018 


October 10, 2018 Power Point Presentation

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I sell my house or move out of a rented house?

 Quarterly utility bills are for service and usage for the previous three months. When you move out of a house you need to have a final bill calculated. The utility billing staff needs some basic information including a final reading of your meter to compute the bill. In order to request a final bill you must fill out the attached form to request a service person be sent out to read the meter.  All name changes and final bill request must be made in writing.  There is a $15.00 charge to process a final bill. Below is a link to a form you can use to change the name or request a final bill on a water and sewer bill.

Name and Address Change Form/Final Bill Request

What happens if my tenant doesn't pay the utility bill?

The utility billing staff follows the same collection procedures for rental property as owner-occupied property. Township Ordinance provides for unpaid utility bills to become a lien on the property. Therefore, landlords should check with the utility billing department prior to releasing the security deposit to determine if there is an outstanding utility bill.  Quarterly bills, final bills, and payments can be looked up on our website by clicking the link provided to the right, or you can call the utility billing department at 989-772-4600 ext. 223. 

What happens if my utility bill payment is overdue?

If your account becomes delinquent you will be sent a delinquent notice approximately two weeks before the shut-off date. If the delinquent notice is not taken care of water service will be discontinued. Your bill, including any fees, must be paid in full before water service will be re-established. In accordance with Township Ordinance, any unpaid balance becomes a lien on the property and will be added to the next tax billing.

What happens when a due date falls on a weekend or holiday?

When a bill due date falls on a weekend or a holiday for which Township Hall is closed payments may be made in the drop box on a weekend or holiday.  These payments will be considered on time as long as they are in the drop box by 8:00 a.m. following the weekend or holiday after the due date.  Payments received after 8:00 a.m. on the day after the weekend or holiday will be considered late and a 15% penalty will apply.  Postmarks are not accepted as being an ontime payment.  Payments received the day after the due date in the mail, even if the due date falls on the weekend are considered late.

Can you make payments when Township Hall is closed?

Payments may be dropped in the payment drop box at any time. The drop box is located to the right of the front door at the Township Hall which is located at 2010 South Lincoln Road, Mt Pleasant MI 48858. Payment must be by check or money order. If you have the bill, attach it to the payment or place it in an envelope. If you don't have the bill, please note your account number or address on your check or money order.  Payments can also be made online on this website. Postmarks are not accepted as being an ontime payment.

Do you look at postmarks to determine if bills are paid on time?

Payments must be received in the Township Hall on or before the due date to be considered on time. The Township does not look at postmarks to determine if mailed by the due date. The Post Office recommends allowing seven to ten days for postal delivery.

High Usage?

If you believe that your water bill has an error, please contact the utility billing department by e-mailing or by calling (989) 772-4600 ext 223.

If you believe that your water bill is unusually high, please consider that you may have a leak and see the next question.

Why is my water bill so high?

If your water bill is unusually high, you may have a leak. Leaks can commonly occur in the following places:

 Toilets - The flapper is the most common source of problems. Turn the water supply valve off at the toilet and watch the level in the toilet bowl. If the level drops, replace the flapper and clean the flapper seal in the toilet tank. In addition, check the level in the tank. After flushing, the water should shut off when the tank level is about ½ inch to 1 inch below the overflow. If water does not shut off at this level, adjust the float in the toilet water tank. 

Water Softeners - After the softener has regenerated, check to see if water is still running down the drain. If it is, the softener needs to be repaired. Consider turning off and bypassing your softener.

Faucets - Dripping faucets should be repaired or replaced.

Furnace Humidifier - Inspect the humidifier float to make sure that it is shutting off the fill water at the level recommended by the manufacturer. Check your owner's manual for details.

Additional Information regarding water leaks

An easy way to check for a leak is to perform an Overnight Leak Check. To do so, follow these steps:

  • Locate your water meter inside your house.
  • Read and record it in the evening when you are done using water for the day. If you have a softener, pick a day that your softener will not be regenerating.
  • Read it again the next morning before you use any water. If your meter reading changed overnight when no one was using water, you have a leak.

If you find a leak, get it fixed as soon as possible!

Remember we do not issue credits for leaks. 



Consumer Confidence Reports

Consumer Confidence Report

This report covers the drinking water quality for The Charter Township of Union  for the 2017 calendar year.  This information is a snapshot of the quality of the water that we provided to you in 2017.  Included are details about where your water comes from, what it contains, and how it compares to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state standards.

2013 Report

2014 Report

2015 Report

2016 Report

2017 Report



Look Up Utility Payments

Look Up  and Pay Your Utility Bills

This link gives you access to your water and sewer quarterly billing balance, payment history, usage history, and due date for properties connected to  Charter Township of Union  Water and/or Sewer.

Download Information

Name and Address Change Form/Final Bill Request/Cancel ACH

This form is used to change the name, address, and request a final bill for a Charter Township of Union water and/or sewer account.  


Water and Sewer Quarterly Billing Rates and Information

This document provides the water and/or sewer rates, quarterly billing dates, and due dates for the Charter Township of Union water and sewer quarterly bills.


ACH agreement

This form is used to initiate payment of water and sewer quarterly bills directly from a customer's bank account.

Water Shut-Off/On Request Form

This form is used to request the water be turned off or on at the road in the Charter Township of Union.

Township Design Specifications and Requirements

This document outlines the requirements and specifications for designing an extension or hookup to the Charter Township of Union water and/or sewer systems.


Sewer Backup Claims Notice

Sanitary Sewer Backup Claim Form

If you experience an overflow or backup of a sewage disposal system, and intend to make a claim, you must file a written claim with the Charter Township of Union Department of Public Works within 45 days after the overflow or backup is discovered. Claim forms are available above. Claims must be delivered or mailed to the Township Department Of Public Works, 2010 South Lincoln Road, Mt. Pleasant MI 48858.

 Failure to provide the required written claim notice information within the allotted time will prevent recovery of damages.





 Public Access TV


 Cable Franchise Story

 Water and Sewer Hookup Cost/Fact Sheet

This document provides useful information regarding the charges for connecting to the Charter Township of Union water and/or sewer systems.

Schedule of Residential Equivalents (REU)

This document provides the schedule of residential equivalents used for water and sewer hookup cost and quarterly billing.

Water and Sewer Connection Frequently Asked Questions

This document answers questions regarding hooking up to the Charter Township of Union water and/or sewer systems.


Cross Connection/Backflow Protection Information

MDEQ Cross Connection Information Brochure 

Cross Connection Rules Manual

Cross Connection Information Sheet

Frequently asked question