The Charter Township of Union received a $22,875.30 matching grant from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) for the completion of the Township’s Wellhead Protection Plan.
The Plan was implemented in an effort to safeguard the Township's water supply in the delineated wellhead protection area. Our efforts will also help safeguard the water supply of private wells within the protection area.
A local team of volunteers was established to develop the plan, which includes:
· A contaminant source inventory
· Wellhead protection management strategies
· A contingency plan if contamination occurs
· A public education plan and educational materials
The Local Team is comprised of:
· Shawn McBride – Charter Township of Union Chief Water Operator
· Rick Beltinck – City of Mt. Pleasant Fire Department Representative
· Kim Smith – Charter Township of Union Public Works Coordinator
· Brian Smith – Charter Township of Union Manager
· Malcolm Fox – City of Mt. Pleasant Water Treatment Plant Superintendent
· Scott Jones – Central Michigan District Health Department
· John Bradac – MMCC/Ferris State University Professor
· William Woodruff – Charter Township of Union Zoning Official
· Joy Smith – Charter Township of Union Mapping Technician/General Public
Gourdie Fraser & Peerless Midwest
The firms of Gourdie Fraser and Peerless Midwest were selected to facilitate and coordinate the planning program, to assist the local team in formulating the plan, and to draft the plan text for submission to the DEQ for approval and to the Township Board for adoption.